Wednesday 26 August 2015

Interview with Umair Khan - Model, Mumbai, India

Umair Khan 

Profession : Model, Freelance
World Map : Mumbai, India



Born and brought up in Mumbai, Umair has always been an ardent lover of football playing professionally in many an elite club. But as he progressed through life’s many an unexpected twists, he found his calling in the spirit of dance and trained under the legendary Shiamak Davar himself and has since found himself dancing with the stars in many a television programme such as Zee Cine Awards, Star Guild Awards , Star Parivaar Awards and many more. 

It was here that his talents and hard work were given credibility and he was soon made the poster boy for a myriad of companies ranging from Fogg Adverts to prints for Jet Airways and Smaash apart from a host of small scale enterprises. 

One of his crowning achievements however would definitely be a character role with the Bollywood Actor Farhaan Akhtar in the movie Bhaag Milkha Bhaag as an Indian athlete.

Come and hear his story of perseverance and get a glimpse of the world that lies beyond the glimmering curtains!

Q> What is Modeling to you? What goes through your mind when you express yourself through it?
Modelling to me is the love for fashion. It's the classic case of passion turned into a career. When expressing myself through it I'm completely myself be it on a runway or on a set/studio. It's a give and take relationship with the camera. I think passion is the difference between having a job and having a career. And like they say choose a job that you love and you will never have to work a day on your life.

Q>  What is the role of modelling and dance in impacting today’s generation? How tough is it to make a career here in today’s market?
 It's Everything ! Because of the Media I feel there's too much pressure on the youth to be attractive, athletic and popular. This means they are indirectly pushed into the notion of being fit like a model and be a good dancer to have their talent and credibility acknowledged. Every youth today has a role model they look up to and want to imitate. A positive role model, though few, has the power to make change desirable in society.

It's very difficult to make a career in this field in today's market. You have to be perfect in everything to be able to make it to the final auditions. And just when you think the worst is over, there comes the selection round. Crossing this barrier itself is a task. It's this unseen hard work that people fail to see behind the glossy magazine photographs. Each commanding hours of training at the gym, eating the right food, maintaining a healthy diet, correct amount of sleep, looking after your looks is certainly no rosy lifestyle. Besides, after all, at the end of the day it's the face that sells.  What makes is more exciting is the endless running around for auditions and waiting in a line with a minimum of a 100 people even for a short character role of an unheard advert!.

Q> What were the initial difficulties you faced when making modeling your career? And the small moments that inspired you to be steadfast in your perseverance?
One thing everyone needs to know is that modelling is a full time job. It's a career and a very difficult one. It's not like a 9-5 job. You've got to give everything you have and there's no fixed timing. Work shifts may go on a full day and night schedules. It's an All in poker game where you risk your career, hard work and money put in if you don't make it.
                                           

Initially, I was very thin so I had to start with getting my body in the right shape. Hours of training for months went into that. When I thought I was ready and started with the auditions, the requirements kept changing with every audition! Some wanted lean, some asked to bulk up more. The requirements, though frustrating, differed with every project. Three months of auditioning in the heat and running around for almost every possible audition and not being shortlisted for a single thing was difficult to accept. It's at this point that you need to stay focused and give it all. You become your best or your worst enemy. I made sure I got it because I really wanted to and that kept me working to achieve it. Everyone around you will criticise you and that's when you need to prove them wrong. That became my mission and strangely, my inspiration.

 Q> How do you strike a balance between work and family? Is there any support or pressure?
 Family support is the most important thing you can ask for in this field. If you family is supportive, you've got everything you can ask for. I’ve been blessed with a very understanding family. They always let me do whatever I've wanted to but in a good way. Even if you are out of town for weeks, just a phone call from home is all that you need to rejuvenate. I'm really very thankful to my family for everything they've done for me.
                                         
Q> Is the modelling world really as glittery as the common man sees it to be? Could you give us an example of the reality you see?
 Yes. It's very fascinating. But again the amount of hard work it takes to reach there and see it, is a lot. In the end, it's totally worth it. You just have to make sure you're ready for the hard work and struggle which hides behind the glamour.

Q> How have you been able to keep in touch with the ones that have made you who you are today? Is it important to do so?
 Yes. I'm in touch with everyone who's made me what I am today. It shows that you actually care and love them. Wealth of good manners is something that no one can steal from you. You keep it with you wherever you go.

Q> Tell us about the real Mr. Khan who sits behind the curtain.
I'm actually not a party person. I don't go out clubbing or partying all the time. I'm a fitness freak. Love working out all day and all night and the credit to this fitness goes to my trainer Yogesh Bane. Apart from that, when I'm not out for work you will find me with my friends, just enjoying a good chat. So behind my curtain, life is much simpler and not that fancy which balances me with the glamorous side.

Q> If given a choice to chose an alternate career what would you have chosen and why?
 Dancer without a doubt! Being a Dance graduate from Shiamak Davar International School and working and learning under the maestro Shiamak himself is just something you can't leave. It’s like being with family, a bond that is hard to break.


No comments:

Post a Comment